Sunday, February 18, 2007

THE SECRET


I watched The Secret not long ago and found it to be interesting and worthwhile when it comes to taking responsibility for our thoughts and gaining a better understanding of whether our thoughts are in line with our intentions and goals in life. Do we have internal conflicts that we may not be aware of? Are we always wishing for money because we feel we will never have enough and in turn sending out the forever wishing but never achieving manifestation? I like the idea of moving away from the external locus of control to an internal realization that we can accomplish and obtain whatever we focus on. However, I started thinking about my day job working with homeless individuals - I believe that homelessness exists and is a real problem in this country and I focus a lot of my attention on the issue. My reality of the issue has expanded and prior to working in this field, I knew nothing about the number of homeless individuals around me in my community. So, as this has become a real issue in my life - I have to ask- Are my coworkers and I creating more homelessness by focusing intently on the issue? A strange question to ask indeed - yet I wonder if we focused on believing that homelessness will end or is not a great problem -would the issue lessen over time? When we add more police to our streets, do we create more criminals? When we fight the war on drugs, are we creating more drugs coming into the country? If what we focus on becomes our reality, are these things manifesting themselves in our world?

The laws of attraction makes sense on many levels. I know that there are certain things that I expect and those things seem to manifest in my life. Nevertheless, other things such as believing that I will eventually out-grow my asthma seems out of reach. I can believe each and every day and know that it's working and then I have an attack and it is reinforced within me again that I will forever suffer from this malady. What do we have the control over to change? I can believe in happiness and peace for my family but when some natural force destroys my house - did I somehow create this? Did innocent families in Baghdad bring the war to their communities because of the laws of attraction?
I grew up in an area with very little criminal activity, got used to never locking my car, and always left my keys in my car. When I moved around the county because of conditioning, I continued to leave my keys in my car not thinking much about it being stolen. Friends were dumbfounded by this behavior and repeated told me my car would be stolen. I never believed them and continued to leave my keys in my car on most occasions and the only car that was ever stolen from me was the car that was locked, and I still have the keys. Therefore, perhaps our beliefs reinforce what happens to us and can influence our reality. But we can't go so far as to say that the child that was kidnapped was sending out this attraction, however, it's possible to believe that the mother who believes that the world is a more dangerous than when she was a child is going to be living in a scarier world and be more fearful because she has created this idea in her mind and reinforcing it by watching the news each night.

Anyone have more congruent thoughts on the laws of attraction?- or any real life experiences on using the laws of attraction feel free to comment.

No comments: