Friday, February 16, 2007

SECOND LIFE



I am sure everyone knows about Second Life by now. But in case you haven't - it's a virtual world in which you design your own person, meet other people, get a job, purchase land, build things, have sex and do just about everything you can do in the real world only through your computer. It is reminiscent of SIMS but better graphics and one is capable of doing so much more. One of the nice aspects of Second Life is you are able to fly if you want to get somewhere fast. Another piece of this "game" is you are able to make real money and spend money. The Linden dollar can be converted to US currency and people are supplementing their income in their "second life" and some have quit their day jobs altogether. It is possible to spend money on real estate that doesn't really exist and make money selling items you have made in this virtual world. I just had to check it out. I found it to be quite fascinating and met people from all over the world. I went to great areas had drinks, good conversation and even checked out some of the seedy areas. After three days in this world - I was beginning to understand how compelling it could be - I could be everything that I am not in this world. I made my avatar muscular and attractive and decided that I could be bold and Type A - acting in ways that I don't feel comfortable doing in this world. However, after pulling my undernourished, red eyed, overstimulated physical body away from the computer and discovering that my first life was suffering and responsibilities skirted - I pulled the plug and erased it from my computer.

I wonder what the future holds for us? The experience of Second Life was like some sort of matrix and I could see how it could end up consuming much of my time. The virtual world is like simulated Prozac or a form of escapism that some us can't reach in this world. It gives us instant control and pulls you in right away with the allure of being able to fly and creating your own character. Do we retard our progress in this world by spending time in the virtual world or can it be part and parcel to our emotional/spiritual growth? I suppose it is no different than other computer games or perhaps similar to the internet and blogs in general. You can make connections with others from around the world but what happens when we spend 6 to 8 hours a day in the virtual world? What will become of the real world? Will I someday be able to go on a date with my wife on some tropical island without leaving our house? Just hook me up to an IV and plug my brain in...Any thoughts?

Check out Second Life if you haven't already -http://secondlife.com/ - it's free unless you want to join - Make sure you remember to eat, shower, talk to spouse/kids/friends and go to work!

No comments: