Sunday, February 18, 2007

NATURAL MORPHINE


Oh to just be content...to sit and watch the waves upon the beach or the snow falling softly to the ground. How often do these moments spring forth in our lives? What is it that gives us a sense of completeness and connectedness to something greater? Those moments when whatever we are doing is all we need...for a time we are free from hunger, thirst, and all physical and emotional pain washes away and our state of consciousness seems to be divinely inspired. Philosophers have spoken of this for centuries and athletes term this as being in the "zone." I have felt this while snowboarding, sailing, playing golf and spending time in good conversation. We all have these moments and long to have them again. I wonder what flood of chemicals are occurring in my brain at these moments- is it similar to a dopamine release when ingesting morphine or other opiates? The experience is what poems and any great works of art are made of - something that only the creative of minds can put into words or color. I enjoy the surprise of these moments as they do not always occur when doing the activities I love. It's as if everything has to be in order for these moments to occur - I know how to increase the likelihood of their occurrence but I can never force it to happen. I can complete a round of golf every weekend for the next season and never get into the zone and then when I least expect it everything falls into place and I have that quietude, that connection, that visualized shot that works as planned and overall that sense of oneness with everything. Was it the variety of foods I consumed at lunchtime? Or the mix of chemicals I inadvertently put into my body? How did I get there and how can I get back sometime soon? More importantly, how can I control this and bring it to me when I need it most? Or would it be less euphoric if it wasn't a spontaneous event? Until the next time...

No comments: